This is not room 555. It’s the cafe that is connected to the 500 West Hotel which is the Hostel/Hotel hybrid I stayed in. I had a private room but shared bathrooms. Very European. When I did the shared bathroom thing at The Pod Hotel in Manhattan I was amazingly impressed with the cleanliness of the bathrooms and the rooms. This was not my experience at 500 West.
The omelet I had at this cafe was alright but that comforting looking cup of coffee you see there is THE WORST BROWN WATER IN THE WORLD.
This is the Hallway of Doom. One wrong direction given by the Hotel clerk and you could be wandering these halls until your reservations are forfeited. The doors are sometimes in numerical order but will suddenly change things up and skip around until two hallways over. This is not encouraging to the tired traveler.
This is room 555 where there was obviously a drunken pissing contest in the past. This room is right around the corner from a bank of bathrooms so I can only imagine that a) pissing on the floor was more fun or b) the person who left this stain was just as afraid as I was to use the toilets in the middle of the night.
Other delightful features of this hotel are:
- The tiniest television I’ve ever seen.
- A luxuriously frail plastic chair for your convenience writing letters and such useful occupations as most travelers indulge in.
- No air conditioning. (Not to worry- there’s a barbie sized ceiling fan and if you stand on the bed you get almost close enough to be cooled off!)
- Saturday nights are bustling so you needn’t worry about making too much noise yourself until after 4am when most of the party action, shouting down the hallway, constant clunking of the creaky elevator and the violent banging noises all die down to a peaceful Sunday morning style reverent quiet.
- You don’t have to worry about getting the bathrooms too dirty because they’re so shabby you can’t really tell if they’re clean or not in the first place.
When you have a small budget you don’t have a lot of options and I will say that there are many Motels I wouldn’t have preferred to this hotel. As bad as it sounds it was at least the clientele is not sleazy. It’s mostly young Europeans and not prostitutes or drug addicts.
I am now in Santa Monica in a much better hotel called Seaview Hotel. Still no air conditioning but so much more comfortable.
I’ve got more to report but right now I must prepare to go out with my sister. I hope you all have a great night!